Pages

Welcome Fellow Food Enthusiasts


Sunday, May 8, 2011

Thai Turkey Burgers

When I told my cousin we were having Thai Turkey Burgers, his asked:
First: Does it have peanut butter?
Response: No.
Second: Does it have carrots?
Response: No.

I know, it doesn't have some of the common ingredients found in most Thai food, but we still liked them. This is not a meal that is good reheated though. So only make the number of burgers you need. The sauce can actually be used for salsa with chips at another time.


Ingredients
Salsa:
1 fresh pineapple, cut up
1 T sesame oil
1/4 t crushed red peper
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/4 red onion, finely chopped (I used 1/2)
2 T brown sugar
10 to 15 fresh basil leaves (I only had 10 so I also added about 1T dried basil)

Burgers:
1&1/3 lb ground turkey (I only used 1 lb)
1 inch fresh ginger root, grated or 2 pinches ginger
2 cloves minced garlic (I used 3)
2 T soy sauce
2 t curry powder
Salt
2 green onions, finely chopped
Rolls ( I used ciabatta)
Lettuce

Instructions:
Salsa:
Place the sliced pineapple into a food processor and chop until a coarse, chunky texture. (I love my food processor, but I don't have the best touch yet for only coarsely chopping something, so I chopped it by hand.) Heat the sesame oil in the pan and add the crushed red pepper. Add the bell pepper and onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add pineapple and cook until warm. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and cook for two more minutes. Remove from heat and add basil. Set aside until burgers are done. (allow to stay warm)

Burgers:
Mix the turkey, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, curry, salt and green onions. Form hamburger patties and cook in skillet until fully cooked through. The recipe says 4 minutes per side. I covered the pan to keep heat in, but still cooked for about 6 minutes per side. I made sure they were fully cooked.)

Serve on rolls of choice (I toasted ours) and top with warm salsa.

Enjoy!

No comments: