Pages

Welcome Fellow Food Enthusiasts


Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chicken and Potatoes Italiano by The Food Nanny

Dinner #2:  Chicken and Potatoes Italiano
Time: Long
Price: $$$$ (I found my drumsticks on sale for less than .50 cents each!)
Servings: however many pieces of chicken you use!

My thoughts: A delightful comfort food.  I've never cooked with drumsticks before, so I was pretty nervous I was going to mess things up.  But to my advantage, I didn't.  Again my dinner turned out! Round of applause for me!  This recipe was soooo easy.  And super simple.  I stuck this in the oven before I left to take my daughter to dance, and when I returned it was nearly done.  We paired this entree with Green Bean Casserole*, a family favorite).

What I loved: Using fresh rosemary - and realizing just how much that little amount of Rosemary really does flavor it!

ingredients
6 medium russet potatoes (2 pounds) peeled and quartered lengthwise
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
6 chicken drumsticks
6 chicken thighs (I omitted these, and just did drumsticks)
1 freshly ground black pepper
2 medium white onions, thickly sliced
2 T fresh Rosemary leaves or 2 teaspoons dried coarse salt

directions
Preheat oven to 400.  Place potato and onion pieces in a sheet pan or other large baking pan, drizzle olive oil over them, saving 2T for chicken.  Remove the skin from the chicken pieces if desired.  Rub the remaining 2 T of olive oil over the chicken and place in the pan between the potatoes and onions.  Sprinkle the rosemary on the chicken.  Sprinkle the salt and pepper generously over all.  Bake for 30mins.  Turn the potatoes and onions and continue baking until chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 15 to 25 mins more.

*Green Bean Casserole
ingredients
2 cans green beans
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can Frech's French Dried Onions
1/3 cup milk

directions
Mix all ingredients, except for half of the dried onions, in a 9x13 pan.  Top with remaining half of dried onions.  Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes or until heated through.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This recipe is a family favorite--it is amazingly easy to put together and use that fresh rosemary because it makes a huge difference! I usually use the chicken thighs only, and add a couple cloves of garlic, it just enhances the other flavors. This is a kid pleaser too--the roasted potatoes are excellent with the pan juices, it is a delicious, no hassle meal that you can put together, throw in the oven and enjoy the incredible aromas of the rosemary, onion and potatoes--definitely give it a try, you'll be glad you did!

Just Jaime said...

I made this tonight--yum! Thanks for the super easy recipe!