Pages

Welcome Fellow Food Enthusiasts


Sunday, April 17, 2011

Blueberry Zucchini Bread



I didn't have my camera when we made these, but when thinking of fruit "characters" I always go back to some of my favorite fictional characters of my childhood (next to G.I. Joe, Transformers/Gobots, and He-Man and She-Ra). Strawberry Shortcake of course. So, thank you Blueberry Cupcake for representing today.

I spent Saturday with my favorite little red headed three year old, and since he loves cooking with me, I decided to look through the Parents Magazine his mom subscribes to. I thought I'd find a fun, kid friendly recipe. Here is the one we tried. It went over so well, I made it again this morning to take to my Primary class. Today we talked about the Word of Wisdom, and I thought they'd like to take home something delicious and healthy. I was surprised, they even weren't disappointed that I didn't bring candy (truth be told, I am against any food in class and never bring it.) The six and seven year old kids were actually excited for the bread. Yeah!

Blueberry Zucchini Bread

Ingredients
1 c flour
1 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 regular sugar
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
3 eggs
3/4 c canola oil
1 t vanilla
2 c shredded zucchini
1 c blueberries
2 t sugar (optional)

Instructions
Mix the flour, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and set aside.
Mix the eggs, oil and vanilla. I added the zucchini to the liquid mixture as well.
Mix the two groups together. Add the blueberries.
Scoop into a bread pan. You can sprinkle with 2 T sugar if you like.
Bake at 350 for an hour.
(If you have mini bread pans, you can cook at 350 for 40 minutes.)

ps - yesterday I used fresh blueberries, today I used frozen blueberries that I'd defrosted before using. Both worked well.

Enjoy!

No comments: