Pages

Welcome Fellow Food Enthusiasts


Monday, October 5, 2009

Swedish Tea Ring


This is a General Conference tradition that started for me in college. My roommate baked this treat for us, a lifelong tradition in her family. Now I keep it going in my life, sharing it with other roommates and friends over the years. Now I share it with you.

Swedish Tea Ring (in order of preparation)

Ingredients and Instructions #1
1 package (or 2 1/4 t) Dry Yeast
1/4 warm water

*Combine and set aside to rise

Ingredients and Instructions #2
1 c scalded (boiled) milk
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c butter
1 t salt

*Combine in pot and bring to a boil. Set aside to cool.

Ingredients and Instructions #3
3 1/2 c flour
1 egg

*Add 1 1/2 c flour to the warm milk mixture and mix well (I just use a wooden spoon). Add the yeast mixture and the egg (still using the spoon). Then gradually add the rest of the flour (now I use my hands to knead it).

*Allow dough to rise for an hour, it should double in size. Punch down and divide into two or you can just make one huge ring with all the dough.

Ingredients and Instructions #4
1/4 c melted butter
brown sugar
cinnamon

*Roll the dough out into a rectangle (think cinnamon rolls here). Spread the butter over the dough and sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar. (optional: you can also add raisins or nuts, etc). Roll the dough up like cinnamon rolls or a jelly roll.
*OK, now stop thinking cinnamon rolls. Set the roll in ring shape into a 9" pie dish, if you are making two rings, or onto a cookie sheet, if making just one. Pinch the ends together creating a full ring/circle with the dough.
*Take a pair of kitchen scissors and cut 3/4 of the way into the center of the ring all around the ring (I space out my cuts 2-3 inches - as pictured below)


*Allow the dough to rise as you heat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 20 minutes for one ring and 22-25 minutes for two.

Ingredients and Instructions #5
1 c powdered sugar
Enough milk to create a glaze

*Pour the glaze atop the hot bread and serve.

Yummy!

4 comments:

Emily said...

This looks good!
Question, it says scaled milk, do you bring the milk to a boil and then add the other ingredients? What's your technique?

Caprene said...

For me scalded milk just means boiled milk (I kind of think of the cooked layer that forms on the base of the pan when the milk boils). I used to boil the milk and then add the other ingredients, but now I just bring it all to a boil together - it hasn't made a difference, at least not that I've noticed. Plus that way, for sure my butter's melted and sugar's dissolved.

Debbie said...

What a fun tradition! And your kids will always remember on these days!

Valerie said...

I need to get a yummy tradition like that started! It looks great and just another reason to look forward to conference.