Pages

Welcome Fellow Food Enthusiasts


Saturday, October 10, 2009

Navajo Tacos

When my mom use to live on the reservation in southern Utah, she learned how to make some great Indian food including fantastic, authentic Navajo Tacos. However, I'm sorry to disappoint because this recipe is not the authentic one (I gave up hand-making my Navajo Bread about two years into my marriage), this is the quick 'n easy version using my favorite thing in all of the world: Rhodes Rolls. Just as yummy. And waaaaay quicker. Don't tell the Navajo Indians though, because I'm sure my method is on the brink of being deemed sacrilegious. :)

However, I still follow Navajo tradition by making a small hole in my dough before I fry it to "let the evil spirits out". Try it, it's fun!

Enjoy!
ingredients:
1-2 cans of your favorite chili
lettuce, sliced and diced
tomatoes, diced
cheddar cheese, shredded
sour cream
Rhodes Rolls (approx. 2 per/person)
veg. oil for frying

instructions
Thaw your frozen Rhodes Rolls (I put my frozen rolls in a Ziploc baggie, then place it in a sink full our lukewarm water for about 30 minutes). Pour about 1/2-1 inch thick of oil into a small frying pan. Allow oil to heat (on medium heat) for about 5 minutes or until you think the oil has reached a moderately hot temperature. Stretch out thawed roll into a circle just a bit larger than your hand (Don't forget to make a small hole in it to let the evil spirit outs!). Place in oil to fry, flipping it over and over until both sides are golden brown.

Serve each fried taco with chili and other optional taco toppings.

Time: prep=30min, cooking=20min
Serves: as many as you cook!

5 comments:

ariel said...

i ♥ navajo tacos. i'm definitely making these!

ariel said...

p.s. is your fry bread shaped like a heart?

Valerie said...

I love Navajo tacos too. It was funny that when I posted it on my blog, I think I received more comments than about any other recipe I had posted and to me it was so simple. But I hadn't heard of them until I moved to Utah, which is why I posted it. Yumm! Now I want some tonight!

Gina said...

no, they aren't heart shaped - but cute idea. and totally doable.

jakenapril said...

amen. i agree with ariel...<3 navajo tacos and i can't wait to try these. yet another reason why tacos (in any form) are just the best!
thanks, gina!