Pages

Welcome Fellow Food Enthusiasts


Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Grandma's Stained Glass Jello Salad

I seem to post more prep shots than finished product.
But maybe it's because I like the prep part best?

And it is usually for someone else, so I'm not always present when it's ready for service...This recipe is immensely popular in our family, and we aren't even from Utah.
My grandma is basically required to make it every time we all get together.
My cousin's have argued for years -
"this should be called Scott's Jello Salad"
or "this should be called Michael's Jello Salad" etc.
For the record, if it comes down to naming it after a cousin,
I'd side with Scott.
Oh, and there is always an argument over who gets the last portion.
I don't think I've ever gotten seconds.

Ingredients

5 small boxes of different flavors of Jello (it's best to get 5 different colors too - don't get lemon for this part)
1 large box (or two small ones) of lemon Jello
1 small tub of Cool Whip

Instructions

Prepare the 5 flavors of Jello per the box's instructions. Allow to set completely.
Once the 5 flavors are set, prepare the lemon flavor (it's best to do prepare the lemon in a large bowl) with 3 cups boiling water - and that's it. Allow it to set until it reaches the consistency like that of an egg yolk (this will happen sitting out on the counter or in the fridge - but watch it carefully if you are using the fridge). Once it's yolk-like, mix with the mixer (I use my hand mixer) for three minutes and then fold in the Cool Whip with a spoon or spatula. Cut up the 5 Jello flavors into little cubes and add to the lemon mix. Mix it all up, pour into a casserole dish and allow to set (about 4 hours.)

It's so yummy. And if you use sugar-free Jello, it's not too bad for you. It could be a salad, a side or a dessert.

No comments: