Before I go any further you should remember a few things:
1. Do yourself a favor and buy the half gallon of Heavy cream from Costco, you will be able to make two batches of the ice cream and have a bit left for some other treat. It's really the best cream around.
2. You must pronounce the word "caramel" as such, Care-a-mel. I demand it and so does Ina Garten, we're friends you know. (Not really, but I like to pretend we are. Ina rocks!)
3. This is not a hard recipe, but it is time consuming. All the ingredients must be well chilled, involving 24 hour refrigeration and ice baths. Do not be deterred! Read the recipe several times before you start, prep really well and give yourself time to think. It helps to have another set of hands around to add ingredients at certain points.
Salted Caramel Ice Cream
Recipe From Ina Garten's friend, Rory Trovato
First you need to start by making the Ice Cream Base, and you must chill this for 24 hours before you plan on making the ice cream. I tried to make it the day of and chilled for 3 hours, the ice cream never froze. Make it 24 hours in advance please!
Ice Cream Base:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
Heat the milk in a sauce pan over medium-low heat.Prepare an ice bath by setting a 2-quart bowl over a larger bowl partially filled with ice water.
Set a strainer over the smaller bowl and set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow in color and the sugar has dissolved. Gradually pour the warmed milk into the yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Pour the mixture back into the same saucepan you used to warm the milk. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
Strain the custard into the top bowl of the ice bath to stop the cooking process. Add the heavy cream and stir over the ice bath until cool. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill thoroughly, preferably (NO DEFINITELY!) overnight. Yield: about 3 cups.
Ingredients for the Salty Caramel Ice Cream
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons flaky sea salt, such as Maldon (Used sea salt from Costco, don't use regular salt!!!)
- Ice Cream Base
- 1 tablespoon pure Tahitian vanilla extract (I used Real Vanilla, but just the kind from Costco)
Heat the sugar in a dry heavy-bottomed sauce pan over medium heat, stirring with a fork to heat the sugar evenly, until it starts to melt, then stop stirring and swirl the pan so the sugar melts evenly, and continue cooking until it is a dark amber color.Carefully add the heavy cream (the mixture will splatter) and cook, stirring until all the caramel has dissolved. Transfer to a heat-proof bowl and stir in the sea salt. Set the caramel mixture over a bowl filled with ice water and stir until chilled to room temperature. (This is very important, it must be completely cooled or it won't freeze!) Combine the caramel mixture with the Ice Cream Base and add the vanilla.
Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's directions.